Tuesday, December 2, 2008

leverage: starring danny ocean

Leverage, which premieres on TNT at 9 p.m. Sunday, evokes the Ocean's movies. There's the ubersmart criminal mastermind (Timothy Hutton)--although in this case, the pilot episode represents his first foray into criminal activity, the small-time crooks who are each good at one thing but work amazingly as a team, the behind-the-scenes twists that keep the audience in the dark until the setup is revealed to the guy being robbed/tricked (a la Toulour the master thief in Ocean's Twelve), and yes, the music. The music in Leverage could have been ripped from any of the Ocean's scores.

It tries to be cool like the Ocean's movies are cool, and it comes close. I enjoyed the ride, but I'm not sure this would be appointment TV. It strikes me as a show I could watch and enjoy every now and again if I stumbled across it, but it's not going to become my next Lost.

As a side note, Saul Rubinek has a guest starring role in the pilot. He's one of those guys you've seen everywhere but can't quite place--I've seen him in Psych, Stargate: SG-1, and Frasier, among other things, but I had to look him up on imdb to figure out who he was.

2 comments:

  1. So...when are you going to quit your day job and write for an entertainment magazine? Seriously. You're a writer. Stop playing around. And when you decide to accept this reality, you should move to Fort Wayne. :) So try to accept it within the next 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ghandi,

    1. You're obviously not the real Gandhi, as you don't even know how to spell your own name.

    2. You find me a job writing for an entertainment magazine in Fort Wayne, and I'll consider it. You have approximately 4 months.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...