Thursday, June 2, 2016

"children of god" by phil wickham


Several years ago, I took a road trip with my sisters. We took turns choosing the music, and I swear one of my sisters always chose Phil Wickham when it was her turn. (She remembers choosing Ingrid Michaelson, but I actually liked Ingrid, and I wasn't such a fan of Phil, so that's what has stuck with me.) By the time we arrived home, two weeks and countless hours in the car later, I thought I'd be happy to never again hear a Phil Wickham song.

Then, to my surprise, I learned that "This Is Amazing Grace," one of my favorite songs in recent years, was by Phil Wickham. I decided that perhaps I needed to give him another shot—and I'm very glad I did!

Marking Phil Wickham's first LP in three years, Children of God comes on the heels of the impactful single "This Is Amazing Grace." Children of God is filled with songs sure to become new worship favorites. Heralded by the single "Your Love Awakens Me," the album is available everywhere now.

Track Listing:
“Doxology//Amen”
“Better Than Life”
“Your Love Awakens Me”
“Secret Place” (feat. Madison Cunningham)
“Wide Awake”
“My All In All”
“Starmaker (Above The Earth)”
“Children Of God”
“Stand In Awe”
“Body Mind & Soul”
“As It Is In Heaven”
“Spirit Of God”

I've really enjoyed listening to Children of God. My favorite songs on the album are "Your Love Awakens Me," which I've heard on Christian radio, and I think we've even sung it in church (or maybe I've just belted it in the car. Either way, it's a great song!); "Doxology//Amen," which is a beautiful rendition of the Doxology and sets a worshipful tone; and "Secret Place," which features Madison Cunningham and has a different feel than all of the other songs.

While Children of God isn't an album I'll be listening to on repeat, it will be great mixed in with other worship music. 4 stars.

Watch the music video for "Your Love Awakens Me":


Buy the album: iTunes, Amazon
Listen on Spotify.
Watch Phil's YouTube channel.



Phil Wickham is, at his core, a humble and sincere artist who writes songs and worships God using the medium of his music. It is with that brush that he paints images of a loving and creative God across the canvases of listener's hearts and minds. The evidence of this gift has been apparent on all of his critically acclaimed efforts: Phil Wickham (2006), Cannons (2007), Heaven & Earth (2009), Response (2011), and The Ascension (2013).  

Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...