Monday, August 1, 2011

kindle freebies!

As you may know, publishers often offer ebooks for free through Amazon and other sites. (Since I have a Kindle, I just use Amazon--check out bn.com if you have a Nook.) I check out the top 100 free Kindle books here a few times a week. I also signed up through ereaderiq.com to be alerted whenever new free ebooks are added (Thanks, Karen!). You have to wade through a lot of junk, but sometimes you'll find a real treasure. (Did you hear me? A.LOT.OF.JUNK. Don't say I didn't warn you!) When I'm going through ereaderiq emails, I usually just scan through the publishers; if I'm on Amazon, I click on the books that look like they come from Christian publishers. (I can almost always spot a Christian book by its cover. Strange, maybe, but when you've read as many books as I have ...) I've noticed that many of the Christian publishers will add new free ebooks around the first of the month ... and today was no exception! Here are a few that especially interested me:

Miss Match by Erynn Mangum is the first ebook I ever read ... and I read it in one sitting! I'd just downloaded Kindle for PC, and Miss Match was one of the freebies available. It has a bit of an Emma vibe to it, and it's witty and fun with lots of pop culture references. As soon as I finished Miss Match, I ordered books two and three in the series. Also, Mangum surprised me with where things ended up, something that's difficult to do when you've read as many Christian romances as I have! If you like chick lit, you should give this one a chance.


As soon as I learned Ransome's Honor by Kaye Dacus was free, I hit "buy." Dacus is an author I've just discovered, and so far, I love what I've read! (According to Dacus, this one's only free through the 15th, so get it now!)



Full disclosure: I've never read anything by Stephanie Grace Whitson. However, I have heard her speak--she put on a writing workshop at the school I work at a few years ago. Plus, she's from Nebraska (you know I'm all about the Husker connection!), so I'm very excited to read Sixteen Brides!

In addition to these three, there are many other quality books for free right now. You just have to know where to look. And remember, you can read ebooks without a Kindle, Nook, or other ereader ... you can download Kindle for PC here (for free, of course).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Becky! I just got a Kindle a little over a week ago...didn't think I'd ever get one since I love real books so much, but I caved. I actually started out with a Nook touch screen a couple weeks ago but didn't like it. The touch screen kept freezing up, and it wasn't what it was cracked up to be. I loved my Kindle from the beginning!

    P.S. I can always usually tell a Christian book by its cover too! And I know what you mean by wading through a lot of junk in the free e-books...lol. Well, now that I've written a book, have a great night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the Kindle great? I got mine basically because of all the free books I had ... and I really didn't like reading books on my computer. I still love "real" books--and it's generally cheaper to buy a used book than a Kindle book--but for reviewing, it's fabulous!

    I've wondered about the Nook--one thing I had a hard time getting used to with the Kindle was that it seemed like it should be touch screen, and the controller was a bit annoying at first. But I guess when you're just reading, a touch screen isn't necessary!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...