Sunday, August 24, 2008

life begins when?

Up to this point, this blog hasn't been political, and I plan to keep it that way, for the most part. However, I just came across this article by Peggy Noonan, and I had to share. As you may know, McCain and Obama recently took part in a forum moderated by Rick Warren. Warren asked both candidates at what point a baby should get human rights. McCain's answer: "At conception." Obama's? "Answering that question with specificity is, you know, above my pay grade." What??? At what pay grade could he answer the question? Perhaps if he had the position he's aiming for? 'Cause surely the President of the United States should be able to answer that question! (Even an "I'm not certain" would have been better!)

I haven't done enough research to know if McCain's voting record backs up what he said (I think he's a bit sketchy on abortion), but he gave an answer. Obama dodged the question . . . and I know that he has a pro-choice voting record. While I don't believe a candidate's stance on abortion is the most important issue to consider, it's still very important. And I think Obama's dodging the question may hurt him more than if he'd said, "At birth," even though he was speaking to a largely pro-life audience.

Here's what I love most about Noonan's article--her explanation of when life begins:

"As to the question when human life begins, the answer to which is above Mr. Obama's pay grade, oh, let's go on a little tear. You know why they call it birth control? Because it's meant to stop a birth from happening nine months later. We know when life begins. Everyone who ever bought a pack of condoms knows when life begins.

To put it another way, with conception something begins. What do you think it is? A car? A 1948 Buick?"


Preach it, Sister!

1 comment:

  1. You make some very good points, Becky. I sincerely hope people - Christians, especially - weigh the consequences of their voting choices. This election should be bathed in prayer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...