Sunday, September 11, 2011

the end of an era?

My parents have attended the Kansas State Fair every year since 1981-- when I was three weeks old, and Mom carried me around in a front pack. I never missed a fair until college, and then I only missed twice before beginning a new eight-year streak. That streak may be over now, though. See, we always went to the fair with my grandparents. Once they stopped going, we still went and stayed at their house. But my grandma died last Christmas, and her house is on the verge of selling. Once it does, we won't have any place to say--or really a reason to go down to Kansas. So it's possible that today's trip to the Kansas State Fair was our last. Just in case, I decided to document it through photos.

We had to get the fried cheese curds--it's become something of a tradition for Mom and me! (I looked for fried butter for the 35 before 35 project, but I didn't see any.)

Every year, Turkey Hill sets up a tent where they give away ice cream samples. This year's ice cream was Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup. Yummy!

I've recently discovered I like almonds. Or maybe "love" is a better word. So I splurged on these cinnamon sugar covered almonds. Muy delicioso!

We had to ride on Ye Old Mill one more time. This year, it was actually kind of scary!

When we went into the Domestic Arts building, we saw they were giving away SPAM sandwiches. I thoroughly enjoyed mine ... but Steph refused to try one.

Steph tried out the Mix-N-Match slushy booth.
If this was our last Kansas State Fair, it was a great way to go out!

1 comment:

  1. 1. Let's give credit where it's due: who introduced you to almonds???

    2. Love the vest/shirt combo!

    3. Since when did buying food other than lunch become a tradition??? Have I really been gone that long?

    4. SPAM sandwich? Really??? Stubes had the right idea on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...