Tuesday, January 31, 2012

crafting with blendy & becky: nail polished keys

I intended to do something else for my January craft, but I ran out of time! Blendy was out of town last weekend, so I had to go ahead with this craft without her. I think I was successful even without her guidance!

I've never been a huge fan of key covers, but I also hate shuffling through all my keys, trying to find the one I need to unlock my door. When I saw this on Pinterest, I knew I'd found January's craft project! It's super simple, and you probably already have everything you need on hand!

Step 1: Gather your supplies—keys, nail polish, clear spray paint, styrofoam (not pictured), and Ron Swanson. (Just kidding. Can you imagine what Ron would think of painting your keys with nail polish? Can you imagine what Ron would think of Pinterest?) Seriously, though, this will take a while, so you'll want to have a movie to watch. I mistakenly thought I could complete this project while catching up on last week's Parks & Rec. I was so, so wrong.


Step 2: Coat the top part of one side of each key with a layer of clear polish/base coat. After it dries, paint a thin layer of your desired color on the keys. Repeat until the color is as dark as you'd like. (I used five coats of the metallic purple and three of the others.)


Step 3: After keys are completely dry, flip over and repeat Step 2 on the back of each key. (When you think the keys are dry, wait another 10 minutes just to be safe. I learned this the hard way, and I had to redo the blue and pink keys ... )

Step 4: Once keys are absolutely dry, spray each side with clear spray paint to seal the polish. If you want to do this quickly without having to wait for one side to dry before spraying the other, find an old piece of styrofoam to prop the keys in. Then you can spray both sides quickly and leave the keys outside to dry. (I don't know if you really need this step. My guess is you'd just have to touch up the keys more often if you didn't spray paint them.)

And that's it! Doing my four keys took about two hours—or one episode of Parks & Rec followed by an incredibly stupid Lifetime movie. Seriously, if you read a book that detailed your sister's murder perfectly, wouldn't you be at least a little bit suspicious that the author may have had something to do with her death? But enough about that. Aren't the keys adorable?

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...