Monday, July 13, 2009

on the oregon trail: day 10

Friday. It seems so long ago now, but I'll do my best to remember the important details of the day!

Our morning began with a lovely French toast breakfast cooked by Nate. Steph had pancakes because she got it into her head that she doesn't like French toast, due to some soggy, nasty stuff Val and a friend made like 8 years ago. We then went for coffee at The Sleepy Monk. Val thought hers was some of the best we've had; I couldn't drink much of mine--it was too heavy and intense.

Beth had to work (boo!), so we decided to go to the Tillamook Cheese Factory while she was working. Here's the thing I don't enjoy about Oregon roads (and probably mountain roads in general)--Tillamook is 41 miles from Cannon Beach, but it took us 65 minutes to get there. In Nebraska (outside of town), 41 miles = 41 minutes or less. Anyway, we greatly enjoyed Tillamook. I was astounded at the number of people who were touring the factory while we were. We had to park in the RV parking because we couldn't find a space in the car parking lot! We sampled delicious cheeses, watched workers package blocks of cheese, and ate some amazing ice cream. Did you know that Tillamook has the second most popular chunk cheddar in the United States? I can't recall hearing of it before this trip, but it sure seems to be popular in the

After Tillamook, we headed back to Cannon Beach. After dropping Nate and Steph off to shop and hang out on the beach, Val and I drove to Warrenton to go to Ross. (Warrenton is like 15-20 miles north of Seaside, but it took us 40 minutes to get there.) Val had heard about Ross from some college friends, who said it had cheap clothes. We spent probably an hour there, and I found a new work outfit, shoes, and capris. I think Ross can best be compared to TJ Maxx or Marshall’s. We have a TJ Maxx in GI, but I’ve never looked for clothes there. I think I should.

We then went back to Cannon Beach in search of coffee and a wireless connection. We went to Bella Espresso (which Steph says has the best hot chocolate she’s ever tasted), but it was very busy, so we decided to go elsewhere. Val wanted to try the Waves of Grain Bakery, where we’d gotten coffee the day before. Unfortunately, we couldn’t remember exactly where the bakery was. So after wandering around—on foot—for a while and having a bit of an argument about who had a better idea of where the bakery was, we headed back to Bella, which had cleared out. We had more great coffee—caramel lattes—and I blogged about Thursday.

We had another campfire on Friday night; this time we hiked down to a beach that was supposedly “no access.” We parked Beth’s car outside of Ecola State Park and then hiked down a half mile-ish trail. Val, Beth, and Nate skimboarded. Nate was really intense—he even “swam”—even though the water was freezing.
Nate instructing Val on the principles of skimboarding.
She's got it!

Shortly after we arrived at the beach, it started raining. It sprinkled off and on for a while, then it picked up. I was pretty soaked by the time we decided to call it a night. But before that . . . I had my first hot dog in years! I really despise hot dogs, but that was my only option for supper, and I was hungry.
This is how I feel about my hot dog . . .

Once we got back to Beth’s, we watched Don’t Say A Word. More accurately, they watched it, and dozed through the middle 40 minutes. What is it with me sleeping through movies on this trip?


  1. It is crucial that I insert that Becky and I had very different drinks at Sleepy Monk, which might explain why mine was awesome and hers was too heavy for consumption. I had a caramel latte with perhaps the most excellently steamed milk ever. Hers was a mocha with about 5 other flavors added to it. WAAAAAY too much going on in that drink. Keep it simple. That's what I say. :)

  2. I didn't realize I had coffee with Tyson Beckford . . .


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...