Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: First Ten Books I Reviewed



Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is one I couldn't resist (submitted by my blogging buddy Rissi at Finding Wonderland!): The First Ten Books I Reviewed. How fun is that?

I wrote my very first book review in college. It was for Dee Henderson's The Rescuer, and it was published in a local newspaper. I'm sure I have a copy somewhere, but I have no idea where!

A few years later, I found out about the chance to review Lynne Spears' book Through the Storm in exchange for a review. And the rest, as they say, is history! (I wrote about my first review and becoming a book blogger here).

So here are book reviews 2-10, since I went to college in the internet's infancy, and I can find no online evidence of the paper or my review of The Rescuer!

2. Through the Storm by Lynne Spears

October 12, 2008 (my review)

3. Field of Blood by Eric Wilson

January 4, 2009 (my review)—in retrospect, I hated this book, but I wasn't nearly that blunt in my review! 

4. Rex: A Mother, Her Autistic Child, and the Music that Transformed Their Lives by Cathleen Lewis

January 20, 2009 (my review)

5. Kiss by Ted Dekker & Erin Healy

February 9, 2009 (my review)

6. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

February 27, 2009 (my review)—warning: this was a pretty unpopular take on Twilight!

7. The Noticer by Andy Andrews

April 27, 2009 (my review)

8. The Great Eight by Scott Hamilton

May 13, 2009 (my review)

9. Faith & Pop Culture by Christianity Today

August 3, 2009 (my review)

10. A Man of His Word by Kathleen Fuller

August 13, 2009 (my review)

Obviously, I wrote these reviews when book blogging was in its infancy ... the Scott Hamilton book is the only one I still own (because figure skatingnope, just checked, and I got rid of it at some point, and it's also the only one I'd agree to review today. But when book blogging programs started, I had difficulty saying no to anything! (Kiss and Twilight are books I bought myself and chose to review, but the rest came from Thomas Nelson's blogger program.)

If you're a book reviewer, when did you start? Which books were your first?

4 comments:

  1. You've got a really interesting range of genres in these books! Super neat that your first review was published in the paper. :D Sounds like a nice little memento to hang on to.

    I had trouble saying no when I started, too, but since I'm usually really good at figuring out the sorts of books I'll like, I'm much more comfortable now about narrowing it down, at least, to genres/tropes I prefer and letting people know when it's just not something I'm interested in. :3

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be a nice memento if I could find it! I've gotten SOOOO much better at saying no over the years! Contemporary romance is my jam, and I'm pretty good at staying in my lane :-)

      Thanks for stopping by, Sammie!

      Delete
  2. Do you think you'll ever reread any of these books?

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, no. I rarely reread books to begin with, and I certainly didn't like any of these enough to give them another look :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...